Friday 13 March 2015

Laura's Tea Room On A Night Out: The Bootleg Beatles

(The Bootleg Beatles).

Okay, I will admit this isn't a normal tea review. In fact tea won't be mentioned. But there will be a picture of a mug later on in this post!

But, I thought, it would be nice for you to learn a little more about the person who writes this blog.

I am a Beatles fan. In fact I'd say it goes deeper. More like a obsessive. I've liked the group who I call "my boys" since I was about ten or eleven. They have always been, and always will be, a huge part of my life.

Last night I went to see the Bootleg Beatles. I have seen this tribute band (who are exceptional) several times but this is the first time in easily 15 years, and so it's the first time I've seen the new line up. So yesterday, I toodled off, with mum, to Westcliff. They were performing at the Cliffs Pavillion.

Firstly, I did the most important thing. I brought some merchandise.

(My souvenirs. A programme, keyring and badge. Only cost me £10).

I had my heart set on a mug and couldn't find any, but after a short nip to the loo's found that the stall had piled up their table with even more souvenirs and low and behold I saw they did indeed do mugs. So I brought one!

(My new favourite mug).

As regular readers know that my heart belongs to one Beatle only - George Harrison. Yes, I love John's acidic wit, Ringo's cute humour. But it's George who I really love. His songs are beyond anything else I listen to, he had a dry wit and he was incredibly handsome.

So, it was somewhat lovely to see Andre Barreau, who used to play George back in the day when I was thirteen years old and madly in love with the mop top. For me, he was the closest thing to the real thing and just about sent me into a faint when I was a somewhat hysterical young teen. Andre hung up his guitar recently and now is artistic director for the band.

(Andre Barreau as George Harrison, and who I watched meander through the foyer yesterday. He once, to my delight (as the Beatle) told me he loved me in response to me shouting the same thing to him almost causing me to faint as a slightly hysterical 13 year old).

When Mum and I took our seats I was delighted to find that we had a marvelous, center stage view. The seats were so comfortable too, which was brilliant as mum is disabled and is struggling with her hips, legs and feet right now.

As we waited for the show to start I took the chance to read the souvenir programme which was fun.

(Our good view!)

When the show started I was just so excited. Tribute bands can be so so but the Bootleg Beatles have always had a reputation that has preceeded them. They are brilliant. It's great to hear the Beatles music performed live by artists that are beyond capable.

The costume's, sets and choice of songs was brilliant. The show was divided into four parts which covered their entire career. We had the early 60's where they sang "She Loves You" amongst others, but my favourite part was the second part.

The second part opened with Sgt Pepper and the performances were brilliant. They covered wide ranging songs such as A Little Help From My Friends to I Am The Walrus and loads inbetween. The Sgt Pepper costumes were fantastic. And I loved John Lennon's wit as he sat at his piano belting out I Am The Walrus, not a easy song to sing live.

I also loved Bootleg John's connection to the crowd. He was so funny and reminded me of the real John who could pop out funny one liners.

Prior to the concert I had emailed the group asking very politely if Bootleg George could sing Here Comes The Sun. This is my most favourite song ever. In previous concerts George never sung this song. So, when George came and did his solo slot, decked out in his denim "Abbey Road" outfit, he picked up his guitar and ... sang While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I was slightly disappointed but enjoyed the three minutes none the less, after all While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a brilliant song.

But, to my joy, a couple of songs later, John announced that George was doing his last song and it was Here Comes The Sun. I'm not proud to admit that I actually did cry during this song. I was just overjoyed that it was finally featured in a Bootleg Beatles concert that I attended. Everyone else who had ever seen them more then once had heard Bootleg George sing my perfect song, and now it was my turn to hear it.

So, what of the new George? Well he is played by a chap called Stephen Hill and is fantastic. His first song was Roll Over Beethoven and was stunned at how much he sounded like George. He did a marvelous job singing, Taxman, Whilst My Guitar Gently Weeps and Here Comes The Sun.

 (Stephen Hill as George. A worthy replacement for Andre. Photograph taken from Bootleg Beatles Facebook page).

I truely had a wonderful night last night. For someone of my age, it is the closest thing to the actual Beatles I'll ever get. I can never afford tickets to Paul McCartney's shows and Ringo doesn't seem to tour much anymore. I enjoyed every single moment.

The atmosphere there was electric . Of course it helps when all the audience have the same thing in common - all loving the Beatles. But I felt really at home there and if you wanted to sing along, it didn't matter. People (not me though) were up, dancing in the aisles. Everyone left with smiles on their faces. I left feeling quite overwhelmed.

I did even impress myself at one point realising that as I sung along I didn't make a mistake on a single song word. I know those songs all too well!

So, that was what Laura's Tea Room was up to last night.

I just wished I could relive it all over again. 

Thanks to the Bootleg Beatles for creating a magical night that everyone in that building loved. To see so many people walk away beaming was fantastic. And I had the biggest smile of them all!




No comments:

Post a Comment