Saturday 17 January 2015

Revolution Tea: Pear White Tea


(Imagine from www.revolutiontea.co.uk)

One of the most highly read blogs I wrote last week was for Revolution Tea's Peach Mango Green Tea. It was a really lovely, fruity delight of a tea so today I decided to review Revolution Tea's more subtle but equally lovely Pear White Tea.

I absolutely love white tea but, sadly, I don't drink nearly enough of it. In fact I'm rather ashamed to say that aside from a couple of samples I don't think I currently own any! I love the delicate nature of white tea. If tea were cup's, your black tea would be a sturdy mug, whilst white tea is the delicate bone china cup and saucer you're too scared to use!

White tea is quite hard to make in as much as you need to be really careful. When brewing black tea you can leave it to brew and if it's a bit strong then all the better but with white tea if you over brew it it becomes, like it's green cousin, quite bitter. So today I decided to brew up and followed the instructions to the letter.

Pear White Tea comes in a nylon teabag and it doesn't scrimp on content, either. As you can see below the teabag is pretty full!


I brewed the water and let it cool for quite some time before adding the teabag. I infused the tea for three minutes which, admittedly, is quite long for white tea which needs to infuse for around two minutes normally.

The tea brewed to a lovely reddish colour.

After a rather hectic morning I sat down and took a sip. It's a really lovely tea to unwind to.

The taste of pear is extraordinary and just like the Peach Mango I reviewed last week, it's just like you are eating fresh fruit it's stunning.

The pear is a delicate addition to white tea. I don't believe white tea sits well with stronger flavoured or citrus fruits. It fares far better with peach or pear flavours. The pear is so subtle that it works hand in hand with the tea rather then masking it entirely.

There is a lovely freshness to this tea and it really refreshes and revives the palate. It's really smooth to drink, and there seems to be a slightly caramel type taste to the tea as well which makes the flavour really rich and interesting.

I also love the fact that the two flavours blend well. Flavoured white tea can be slightly bitter at times, even if you do follow the brewing instructions but there was none of that with Pear White. It's well balanced and gentle.

This tea would be absolutely perfect to serve at afternoon tea with a nice fruit tart or apple and pear crumble. I think it would be a show stopper and would really impress your friends.

White tea is lovely because it's perfect for those of you who may fancy a change from black tea but who do not like green tea. It doesn't have any of the herbal, grassy elements that green tea can have and which puts most people off but it does have the lightness that green tea has.

I found Pear White tea to be charming, tasty, refreshing and moreish. Just like the Peach Mango I reviewed last weekend, it's brilliant for summer days but at the same time can be enjoyed just as much curled up on the sofa on days like today when it's grey, wet and chilly.

A big thumbs up to Revolution Tea. They really do sell some of the loveliest fruity tea's going!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I have yet to try white tea because I've heard people describe it as bland compared to other teas, but this makes me want to try it (I actually have a free sample right now, so maybe I'll give it a try this weekend). Really love the comparison you made that white tea is like your bone China, delicate sounds nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nicole, thank you for your comment.

    I don't find white tea to be bland, but it's a far more delicate tea then green and even more so compared to black. Perhaps it's because of it's delicate nature that it often comes with flavouring. Pure white tea is sublime though, but I have to admit I mainly do tend to drink it with flavours added.

    I liked my comparison too and it's really reflective of the tea!

    However, most people find that white tea needs a lot of TLC, because even though it has a delicate nature it can incredibly bitter if not brewed correctly.

    The only advice I can give is let the kettle cool for a couple of minutes after boiling and do not infuse for too long, two minutes tends to be the maximum (though do check the packaging because some suppliers suggest just a minute!) If you follow those hints you'll have a wonderful cup of tea.

    Do let me know how you get on and if you like it! I honestly feel it's a good break from the strength of a black tea and the herbal qualities of green tea!

    ReplyDelete