Friday 2 January 2015

Bluebird: Lemon Sherbert Green Tea


For my first blog of 2015, and with many new year's resolutions being made, I thought it rather fitting that the first review of the year would be a green tea.

So, today, I am reviewing Bluebird Tea Co's   Lemon Sherbert Green Tea.

I purchased this tea just before Christmas. I wanted a few new blends to enjoy over the festive season, and along with their fantastic Strawberry Lemonade and Earl's Paradise (yet to be reviewed, one coming shortly!) I picked this simply because it sounded really different.

I ordered the tea and within a few days it arrived, in perfect time for Christmas.

As with green tea I boiled the water, let it cool somewhat and let it brew for three minutes.

It's fair to say that I didn't instantly fall in love with this tea. On initial tasting, it tasted odd and rather bitter. I put it back into the cupboard and forgot about it till Boxing Day when I decided to give it another go, such was my interest in the tea.

So, I brewed it again, following the instructions closely and sat back. On the second tasting, in which, to be fair, I had more time to enjoy it's intricate flavours, I really took to it.

I will say then, that this tea is a tea that should be enjoyed properly when you have the time as it's a tea that is multi-layered and one that could easily, as I discovered, be written off.

This is a green tea with a nice, solid green tea base. The green tea is flavoursome and full bodied.

But, this simply isn't just a bog standard lemon green tea! There is a bit more depth to it then that.

When you first try this tea you do get a very strong, prominent lemon flavour. And initially, you will think, what's so sherberty about this? Well that is the extraordinary thing about this tea. After you get "hit" with the lemon flavour, just shortly after, there is a fizzy element to this tea, which is where the sherbert comes in. This tea really does taste like the tart childhood favourite of mine!

As I said before there is a fizz to the tea, but it is also quite sharp like sherbert is meant to be. It tingles the tongue, that's for sure!. It's probably the oddest tea I've tried, but it's rather nice to.

Although this tea contains stevia - a natural sweetener which comes from a plant - I don't find  this tea sweet at all, and some readers may find adding a small amount of sugar to the tea will make it slightly more enjoyable. However, if you like things sharp and slightly bitter, then I'd say this is the perfect tea for you.

Lemon Sherbert is a tea that needs patience. This isn't something you sling in a pot or infuser and drink it quickly before rushing out the door. Due to the tea's slightly sharp elements (and the fact it's a green tea) I would advise that you follow the brewing instructions to the letter. Also, make the time to really enjoy the many different aspects to this tea.

The way the tea goes from something tasting very much like a plain lemon tea to it bursting into flavour is amazing. It's like the tea equivalent of a firework. It start's off slowly then just comes alive. It's really stunning.

I was really (and unusually for me) rather rash with this tea. I judged it far too quickly without appreciating the full qualities of this tea. In my defence, I think I may of drunk it when we had company which isn't the best way to try a new tea!

The really great thing about Bluebird tea is that they sell tea in sample packets which is enough for ten cups of tea. It costs just £1.95 for the sampler size so why not try it today?

Believe me this tea will make an impact with you. So give it a go and find out what a experience drinking this tea is!

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this review Laura. I have to agree with you on some parts of the review and not on others. I was brought a large pack of this tea in part of a hamper from a good friend at Christmas and was less then impressed. It's quite hard to drink and just didn't appeal to me. I will agree with you though on the point that this tea does feel fizzy as the after bite. I love Bluebird teas on the whole though. Just not this blend, sadly. Did enjoy the honesty of your tea review though.

    Thanks, Claire from Sussex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire

    Thank you for taking the trouble to write.

    I enjoyed this tea but my fondness for it is rather slow burning - it certainly wasn't a love at first taste sort of situation with this tea. I'm glad that you liked the review, I always strive to be as honest as I possibly can when it comes to reviewing tea's.

    Lemon Sherbert is the kind of tea, I feel, anyway, that people will either love or loathe. But always give tea second chance, just in case! Can I ask if you've only made one cup? If so, give it another go. You may just be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, can I suggest adding some sugar to the tea? May make it a bit nicer for you?

    ReplyDelete