Friday 5 December 2014

Williamson Tea: Pure Green Earl Grey


This week I was really excited to receive a parcel from Williamson Tea. As I explained in a earlier post I was contacted by the lovely Jade asking if I'd like to review their new Mini Cru range. I jumped at the chance. And I am so glad to have been asked.

The first tea I am reviewing in the range is their Pure Green Earl Grey. As you'll know I'm mad about green tea and I'm equally as mad about Earl Grey, so it's perfect to bring the two together. I have tried other Earl Grey tea's in green form. They were lovely but green Earl Grey is not a common tea, so when I do stumble across them I'm very eager to try them.

I am already on my third cup of the day, and have experimented with the tea. The first thing I'd like to say is that this tea has the most delicious aroma ever. The tea comes in a stainless steel (I think!) metal tin, and it has a special inner plug under the lid to keep the tea fresh. When I removed the plug the smell was just gorgeous. It had that very welcoming (and comforting, I must say) aroma of bergamot which any Earl Grey lover will be more then familiar with.

The tea comes in pyramid shaped teabags. I love these sort because you can watch the tea brewing and it's great fun. Each tin contains fifteen teabags.

Now, I've had three cups of this tea already today. It's a extremely delicate green tea (some green tea's are delicate, some are a little more robust) and I think it's vital with this tea that you use the two golden rules of green tea.

Firstly, once boiled, do let the water cool a little. Green tea is far more partial to scorching. Secondly, this tea needs no more then ONE MINUTE infusion time. Actually, I will confidently say it could with under a minute infusion. I appreciate that this doesn't seem very long, and when making black tea under a minute would leave you with a weak brew. However, this is green tea, and I left the tea to infuse for over a minute on the first cup and it had started to go slightly bitter, which tends to happen with green tea.

I'd say perfect brewing time is 30 seconds to a minute. A minute being perfect. You'll still get that wonderful Earl Grey flavour  but without the base green tea becoming bitter and undrinkable.

This green tea is light and delicate, just like a perfectly made cupcake. It's one of those tea's that is perfect all year round. It's refreshing and easy to drink so perfect for summer months, but with the addition of the Earl Grey element, it's warming and comforting for the winter months too.

It brews to a light, almost clear, amber colour.

When I took my first sip I thoroughly enjoyed it. The green tea is of a lovely quality. The Earl Grey flavouring is evenly balanced with the tea. It's quite crisp and is instantly detectable and this tea is perfect for Earl Grey lovers to get their fix whilst at the same time having a tea with a lower caffeine content. It's the best of both worlds.

Another lovely thing about this tea is that it's a real difference from the normal green tea with lemon that you mostly get in supermarkets.

I was really thrilled with this tea, and halfway through writing this blog made my fourth cup. That's a real compliment to Williamson's Tea because they have sent me a blend that is actually proving to be quite addictive!

If you want to try a green tea with a little extra something then do try Pure Green with Earl Grey . The green tea is different but the Earl Grey is familiar. I'm certain you'll enjoy it as much as I do.






No comments:

Post a Comment