Saturday 19 April 2014

Teapigs Popcorn Tea - A Very Different Treat

(Image sourced from Google).

As readers will know, I often do tea swaps with fellow blogger, Rebecca. I know she is a fan (as I am becoming, too!) of Teapigs, so when she recently sent me some tea, I really appreciated that she had included a sample of Teapigs Popcorn tea. (This tea is quite pricy so I really do appreciate the kind thought).

I have had  rice in a tea, but not popcorn so I was really interested to see how this tea would smell, what it would look like, and most importantly, how it would taste.

The tea is really interesting to look at. As with all the Teapig tea's, they are made from fully bio-degradable silky temples so you can see the tea, and within the little triangle, you can see the popcorn mixed in with the green tea leaves. 

Teapigs Popcorn is a green tea and so I boiled the kettle, as normal, let it cool and waited a few minutes to add the water. I brewed this for three minutes.

Whilst brewing, this tea actually does smell of popcorn. Not the sort of popcorn that is smothered in butter or other sweet stuff, but, having worked in a cinema many moons ago, it reminds me of plain and simple, freshly made popcorn.

The tea takes on a light golden colour which is really nice to see.

To be honest if I lead you into the room and you didn't know this was tea, you would, most likely, think it was actual popcorn.

So, what did it taste like? It tasted exactly like popcorn! But this tea works really, really well. The slightly nutty flavour of the popcorn works so well with the herbal, grassy, element of the green tea. In fact, I would go to say that out of all the green tea I've tried so far, popcorn is the flavour that blends the best with green tea.

In a surprising way, the flavour of the corn and the flavour of green tea is actually fairly similar and this is probably why it works so well together.  It's a good union of two flavours, and the Teapigs blender has really worked wonders with this tea.

If you are not keen on green tea or are making your first tentative steps into the green tea world, this may not be the blend for you. It's quite a strongly tasting tea and I think it could be off putting to those who are not totally sure if they like green tea. The unique flavour of green tea is very evident here, so it may be just a bit too strong if your so so on green tea.

But, if your a green tea lover, as I am, this is marvelous. I think green tea lovers will really enjoy this tea because it's familiar, the flavours are easily detected and it works really well.

It's also a good treat to have if your watching your weight - you get the nice taste of popcorn without the calories!

Please click here for more information on Teapigs Popcorn Tea

I certainly can't wait to treat myself to a box of this super tea. It may just work it's way into my regular tea rotation!





No comments:

Post a Comment