Thursday 24 April 2014

Northern Tea Merchant's Super Keemun


When I was little, and went shopping with my parents, I used to read on the coffee jars words like "mellow" and "smooth". Somehow, I never really thought of words like that in relation to tea. Tea is just tea isn't it?

Well, actually it's not! With tea you can experience not only different flavours, but different textures too. I've often mentioned about not always liking the odd texture you can sometimes get with fruit tea's. Tea is just like coffee in that respect, you can have mellow blends, or stronger ones. Tea's with lovely textures, and tea's that just make your tongue squirm.

This morning, whilst watching a early  morning showing of "The Birth Of The Beatles" (I'm a Beatles fanatic) I wanted to brew a tea that was strong and robust. I opted for Northern Tea Merchant's loose Keemun tea.

I have tried Keemun before, in teabag form from Twinings, and really loved the blend. So I was keen to see how this loose tea version would stand up.

Keemun originates from China and is a black tea.


Watching the tea brew was utterly fantastic. The picture above was taken about midway through the brewing process (just under two minutes). When it was fully brewed it made a wonderful coppery colour. Totally lovely to look at.

The aroma from this tea is utterly gorgeous. Just like Yunnan tea, Keemun has a nutty tone to it, albeit Keemun is far more subtle. 

Settling down, I took a sip and fell in love with Keemun all over again. It's so smooth, so easy to drink, and very flavoursome.

Northern Tea Merchants only use good quality tea, and when you drink a black tea, especially when it's pure and unflavoured, it's vital to use a quality tea. Cheap tea can have that bitter, almost astringent taste to it that I loathe and which makes many a cup of tea undrinkable for me. 

This is very gentle and very mellow. It's soft on the tongue, but strangely, at the same time, is quite powerful. Not in a malty way that Assam or English Breakfast can be, but  it's unique flavour really packs a rather wonderful punch. 

I really do love the nutty tones to this. It adds a nice depth and substance to the tea and takes it from an ordinary tea to a sublime one. It's a moreish tea, and have to admit that I made two more cup's of this tea. It's perfect to get someone up and running in the morning, particularly if your slow at waking up like I am!

This tea would be brilliant with some lemon added. In fact I'll try that over the weekend!

When you think of black tea, most people, understandably think of Assam. I really do believe that Keemun should be promoted far more as it's totally lovely. It's a tea that has a unique flavour, has a lovely smooth texture to it and is a pleasure to drink. 

It's really rather a simple little tea, but makes such a strong impression on those who drink it. 

If you'd like more information on Keemun then please Northern Tea Merchants page.

This really is a must if you love black tea, love anything with nutty tones, or if you just fancy something different!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment