Thursday 20 February 2014

Twinings Ginger Bread Indulgence Green Tea. How Do I Even Begin .....

The buzz about Twinings new green tea has set the tea world alight. On their Facebook page, people are going nuts about the three new green teas, and what's not helping is it's only being stocked in Tesco's (not all branches by a long shot!) and Waitrose. "We can't find it" is a regular complaint, and one I find myself saying!

Earlier this week Twinings sent me a lovely gift (of which I will blog later!) and included in the gift was two sample teabags of each flavour. We have Ginger Bread Indulgence, Caramalised Apple and Salted Caramel.

As I opened the envelope to see what was in the parcel I felt like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka, and I certainly felt like I had won the golden ticket when I saw the samples sat in the bottom of the envelope.

Wow! I had finally gotten hold of these new teas that everyone has been raving about. (And I've heard nothing but positive things about the blends!).

To be honest, I was just a bit excited and couldn't wait to jump in and try these flavours. So I opted for the one that jumped out to me from the beginning. Ginger Bread. Yeah, yeah, it's ginger. How different can it be? Well, it's very different from Lemon and Ginger or Settling Ginger. And I have to say, I prefer it!

Here is the picture of the lovely little tea bags. As you can see, Twinings really have done a fabulous job on the packaging. I love the colours, I love the cute little gingerbread man. It's just awesome in every way possible.


For the brewing instructions Twinings are quite positive that the tea be brewed for no less then two minutes, so I stuck to that religiously. I didn't want to make a mistake and not get the best from it. Anyway, I set my brand new fried egg cooking timer and waited. And waited. And waited!

Once it had finished brewing it took on a strange light orange hue, rather similar to the Settling Ginger Blend. This isn't the best photo going because the light in my kitchen at night isn't so good but I hope you can see it!


On the first sip, I have to say, my first thought was 'oh, it tastes like green tea ... oh now I see ...'. When you take the first sip you get that familiar green tea flavour. But just a couple of seconds later, the gorgeously wonderful taste of gingerbread comes through.

This isn't just another ginger tea. Oh no! This acutally does taste like ginger bread! It has the sweetness of ginger bread. It has that subtle flavour, that is spicy but not too full on. In fact, the taste of this tea is exactly like the sample of a gingerbread house I was given whilst out Christmas shopping a few years ago.

The smell of gingerbread is wonderful, and rather resembles ginger nut biscuits. It fills the whole kitchen. I keep my used teabags in a bowl and empty it regularly through the week, when the teabags have dried out, as I loathe leaking bin bags. The aroma of gingerbread was vibrant and strong for days afterwards and it was really pleasant to be in the kitchen for days after I first tried it. In fact, on Wednesday, we had Freesat installed in our kitchen and the man installing it asked what the lovely smell was. "You must be a good cook" he said. If only he knew!

I am so excited about this blend of tea. I love it and it's so sweet and tasty. It's spicy, gingery but so different to other ginger blends. I'm almost evangelical about this tea. It's fantastic. I'm just really desperate to find a full box of 20 so I can enjoy it again and again.

If you can hunt down this tea, then please, please try a box. You wont be disappointed. I certainly wasn't!

Twinings - your master blenders have stuck gold here. You should be proud of them, they have done a fabulous job!

Summary of Ginger Bread Green Tea

- Brew this tea for no longer then 2 minutes. Time it. It's vital so not to ruin the taste.
- No milk or sugar needed.
- Available in selected Tesco and Waitrose stores. Available online at Twinings. A box of 20 cost £2.49.

Special Deals

Currently available on a 3 for 2 deal on Twinings shop. You also get free delivery (if your in the UK) and a free gift bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment