Sunday 2 February 2014

Chinese Jasmine Pearl Superior: An Aromatic Tea From Kensington Tea Company

There are many times when, like everyone else, I wished I had a lot more money! If I were suddenly to come into a fortune, the first thing I would invest in is one of those glass teapots so that I could watch my different tea's as they brewed. I've always wanted one, but have never gotten around to buying one. After trying this tea, I'm seriously considering saving up for one. (I've been advised by some tea friends that when purchasing a glass teapot, I'd do well to get the most expensive one I can afford, as the quality is much higher).


Chinese Jasmine Superior is made up of small little pellet like balls of tea called pearls. I've never been lucky enough to try them before, as they are typically out of my price range! So, I found this tea fascinating just to look at. Here is a closer look at the pearls.


Once I poured the water onto the tea, I let it brew for a minute, but could not resist having a peak at how this pearl tea worked. I'm not sure if taking the lid off the pot upsets the brewing process or not, but I was desperate to see what was happening to the pearls, and I was amazed to see them dance and bob around in the water, then, slowly, they started to uncurl, little by little till they resembled normal green tea leaves. I found the whole process mesmerising and couldn't stop watching.

The jasmine aroma of this tea is really different. I have to admit, at first, I didn't quite know what to make of it. I wasn't immediately sure if I liked it or not. I was, quite frankly, a little confused about it. I've not had much experience with jasmine, so wasn't too sure what to expect.

As I took my seat to drink it, I noticed that, even after three and a bit minutes of brewing, the water had a translucent quality to it, which is quite pretty.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I took my first sip, and as with all new teas I'm not sure of, I gingerly taste it. And I really liked it. The taste of jasmine is very different, and I've struggled to find the words to describe it, but I'd say it has a floral taste to it. It's quite a strong taste, far stronger then any of the other green tea samples I've tasted, and it does have a strong, slightly bitter aftertaste, too. But that isn't unpleasant, just different.

I liked how full bodied this tea is. It's certainly the more robust cousin of say, Japanese Cherry With Flowers. But that's nice. There is a place for delicate tea's, and there is a place for stronger ones. I think it depends on your mood.

Chinese Jasmine Pearl Superior is a vastly different sort of tea to anything I've experienced before. I found it really hard to write a review about this, as everything about it so unique. The taste of jasmine is not easy to describe in words. It's something that really ought to be tasted.

But there is also a element of luxury about this blend. On the company website it says that the pearls are hand rolled. You can't get any more exclusive then that!

I liked this blend. It's tasty and different. I think it will take a couple more cups for me to really explore all this tea has to offer. But I was hugely impressed. And, I don't mind admitting, I did feel a little bit posh when drinking it!

Summary Of Chinese Jasmine Pearl Superior Tea

- Brew for three to five minutes.
- No milk or sugar needed.
- Available online from http://www.kensingtontea.com/
- Price: 50g £10.50, 125g £24.60, 250g £46.10, 500g £80.55



No comments:

Post a Comment